Lance - for it after
By Alan Jasie
Washington pols never cease to amaze me. As you all know, not a single Republican member of the House voted for the stimulus bill, yet that hasn’t stopped some of them from telling their constituents otherwise. In a press release today, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has released the names and a few quotes to the voters back home highlighting the hypocrisy of at least seven of these GOP reps taking credit for something they voted against.
The following is an excerpt from the DCCC’s press release.
House Republicans Hypocrisy Hall of Fame
House Republicans Voted Against the Economic Recovery Bill in DC, Praise It at Home
- Representative Pete Hoekstra (MI-02) - "If you know of someone thinking of buying first home, now may be the time. Stimulus incentive is very generous! Up to 8k! Check it out." [Representative Pete Hoekstra's Twitter page; 2/18/09]
- Representative Leonard Lance (NJ-07) - "Officials are hoping more federal money will soon be flowing to the Green Brook Flood Control Project. Under the terms of the stimulus plan signed into law Tuesday by President Barack Obama, infrastructure projects that are "shovel-ready" could be the first to be funded with economic recovery money. That's the hope of Rep. Leonard Lance, R-Clinton Township...' This is a classic example of a ‘shovel-ready' project,' Lance said after the tour." [mycentraljersey.com; 2/17/09]
- Representative Greg Walden (OR-02) - "I figure my job is to try and do whatever I can to clear the hurdles and get the projects going and the people back to work using these funds." [Mail Tribune; 2/19/09]
- Representative Blaine Luetkemeyer (MO-09) - "Luetkemeyer said the project is considered ‘shovel ready' and that's what the economy needs. President Darrell Krueger and Luetkemeyer discussed the educational benefits of the economic stimulus package." [KTVO-TV, 2/16/09]
- Representative Don Young (AK-AL) - "Alaskan Congressman Don Young won a victory for the Alaska Native contracting program and other Alaska small business owners last night in H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act." [Congressman Don Young's Press Release; 2/13/09]
- Representative Ken Calvert (CA-44) - "All of us in the Inland Empire will do what we can to direct as much money as we can." [The Press Enterprise; 2/13/09]
- Representative John Mica (FL-07) - "I applaud President Obama's recognition that high-speed rail should be part of America's future." [Congressman John Mica Press Release; 2/13/09]
Read the entire article here at http://dccc.org/blog/archives/
The last time we saw such hubris was when Sen. John McCain during his run for the presidency was lauded for his work on behalf of the vets by President Bush at the signing of the GI Bill even though McCain opposed it.
If they keep this stuff up they should lose the elephant as the party symbol and change it to a bull!
We talk about these issues and more every weekday at 5 PM New York time on News Talk Online on Paltalk.com