Friday, May 22, 2009

States With The Worse Drivers



Cruising along I-80 in Pennsylvania, I glance in my rear view mirror to see an aggressive driver barreling down on me. "I bet that car is from New Jersey," I tell my son.

Sure enough, as the guy flies by me like I'm standing still, I see the car does have a Jersey plate on it.

"See," I comment, "New Jersey has the worse drivers in the nation."

"Either New Jersey or New York," he responded. "I think New York drivers may even be worse than those in New Jersey."

How perceptive he is!

Last year's GMAC ratings of the states with the worse drivers did name Jersey motorists the most dangerous behind the wheel. But this year's list - which has just been released - says the worse drivers are in New York. New Jersey is now only second in the dubious listing.

Oh, and if you're looking for safe, courteous drivers, you need only go to Idaho or Wisconsin, which tied for best.

--

Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdcapasso/3389973724/

4 comments:

Dani said...

Ah such a story always makes me warm and fuzzy. Makes me think of school holidays, busy roads and sitting in the car with my family trying to pick which state the idiot drivers were from!

Anonymous said...

Having driven thousands of miles in the USA in some 30 States (and on the incorrect side of the road for me to boot!!) I have to say I am impressed by the standard of driving, and of the courtesy of the drivers.
Of course it's all relative isn't it? Try driving in some of the cities in the UK, or even worse Italy to see what poor driving is!! They shouldn't have just a driving test in some of our European countries but a defensive driving course!!

WorthyOfUrAttn said...

After seeing this title, my first impression was Pennsylvania. I love a long ride through the country side of Pennsylvania with its winding roads and scenic beauty. If I have to go through Pittsburgh, I will call my driver! Its not even so much the chaotic assembly of vehicles in the streets, but inconsiderate people that walk out in front of you or jump over the hood of your car.

Gary Baumgarten said...

Jumping over your hood in the 'hood Worthy?