Thursday, September 10, 2009

Islamic Rights Group Concerned About Ramadan Spikes In Violence Against Muslims

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations says there has been a rash of attacks on Muslims leading up to and since the start of Ramadan. The most recent, a hate-motivated attack at the Oregon home of a Muslim family.

“We are concerned that the rising level of anti-Islam rhetoric in our society is contributing to this apparent spike in hate crimes targeting Muslims or those perceived to be Muslim,” said CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad. “Our nation’s leaders must speak out against the increasing use of anti-Islam hate speech on the Internet, on talk radio and in editorial pages.”

Yesterday, CAIR’s Michigan chapter called for state and federal hate crime charges against assailants who allegedly attacked a Muslim girl on a school bus in Ann Arbor. The FBI and the Michigan Department of Civil Rights are now looking into the case. The organization also cites the recent case of two men who allegedly called a California cab driver “Taliban” and “terrorist” as they attacked him. In late August, CAIR reported a bias-motivated attack on Muslims in New York. The FBI now says it is monitoring that case.

2 comments:

WorthyOfUrAttn said...

I remember right after the 911 tragedy, I went to AAA Motor Service. As I was walking in, three Arab men came in behind me. My first thought was that I didn't want people to think we all walked in together; I was embarassed. The second thing I did was literally ran to the counter where there were people. I didn't feel safe and I didn't stop to think about my reaction. When I looked back, the three men that came in were silent and they stared at me with such hate, I thought they were going to approach me about my offense. I felt bad afterwards and even more embarassed at my reaction, but, deliberately beating or mistreating a person because they are or one thinks that they are Muslim is uncalled for.

Anonymous said...

Mistreating or beating up ANYONE is uncalled for, isn't it?

News stories are now saying it was a group of African-american boys who did this to her, using arabic slurs.

I wonder if they were nation of islam?