Friday, January 6, 2012

Facebook bullies

Today I blocked three people from my Facebook account.

Actually, to be more precise, I blocked three screen names. They all could be the same person. If not, one is a person, the other two parrots.

At any rate, I blocked them, not because of their political viewpoint. But because they have been bullying other people.

They, or she (as I say I suspect it is one person), refused to relent. Despite public pleas to attack issues not people. Despite personal messages I sent her, or them.

Of course, the minute I did a brand new screen name was created on Facebook. A name that started posting on my wall. Supporting her, or them, and accusing me of muting her/them because of their political point of view.

Let me be clear. I foster - encourage - on my social media sites as well as on my show, News Talk Online on the Paltalk News Network, diverse commentary - multiple points of view. Whether I agree with those viewpoints or not.

What I do NOT encourage is bullying.

There've been a number of stories about Internet bullying of teenagers recently - teenagers who have actually committed suicide. The bullies have been their peers. There's been a lot of discourse discouraging that behavior among teens. What we haven't seen - as much - is discussion about adults behaving like children who bully other adults. The words are just as hurtful as if they were slung at younger people.

I don't like to be put in the position of policing content on my sites. But I've had enough. Sometimes circumstances force us to take a stand. So take a stand I am.

No more will I just let it fly. On my sites, when I see it, I will remove it and if the person persists I will preclude them from participating.

On other sites, when I see it, I will voice my objection.

I encourage you to do so as well.

No comments: