Wednesday, June 25, 2014

TAKE A PICTURE OR DIAL 911?

Yesterday I reported on the guy who was stabbed in the back and was walking along the sidewalk with a big-ass knife sticking out of his back. The story went viral, not because of my reporting, but because people took videos and still photos that they posted. And they went all around the world.

But here's the thing. How many of those people, who used their smart phones to capture images of the poor man, bothered to dial 911?

This is not the first time I've seen this. I pulled up behind a car that flipped over on the side of the road. People were trapped inside. Others who stopped (I had thought to help as well) were taking pictures using their smartphones.

"Did anyone dial 911?" I cried out. Several times. No one fessed up to it. So I called.

Here's the question.

If you see something that might make your photo or video an instant viral sensation. but there's a need to summon help, do you make the call? Or make the picture?

1 comment:

Gina Gibson said...

Dial 911 as I race to do what I can if anything. I could care less about going viral...