Saturday, November 28, 2015

Proof you can take me out of Detroit. But you can't take Detroit out of me

I just filed a story for Fox News Headlines 24/7 on SiriusXM 115 and the Fox News Radio Network that brought me back to my days of covering the news from the streets of Detroit.

In the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks, the Detroit police union is challenging an NFL rule that prohibits off-duty cops from bringing guns into the stadiums. The league says not knowing who has guns makes the public less safe. The police union says, it's just the opposite. Not having trained law enforcement officers in stadiums if there's a terrorist attacks is what makes it less safe for the fans.

I even had the chance to quote my old friend and news source, retired Detroit police Sergeant David Malhalab. Who says it's the same story at Comerica Park. Where, he says, an off-duty Detroit cop who went there for a Tigers game was told he couldn't bring his gun inside. So he went back to his car to stow it.

When he returned after the game, David says, the officer's car had been burglarized. His gun gone.

No comments: